Monday, September 25, 2017

Saying Goodbye to Felix

After a year of riding Felix, I sold him to a nice gal who is just getting back into street bikes. The bike sold for the asking price a week after I posted it. Amazing and I'm glad he is going to someone who is excited to ride.

There was nothing wrong with this bike, but it just didn't fit my riding style. It was comfortable for the 45 minute rides to work, but the long wheelbase was a pain - taking up a lot of my garage and was not something Amy could move into the basement if I was away and the water started riding.  It had a wide turning radius too, and so turning into the driveway or reversing directions was a pain on the two lane roads.







Finally, the brakes were not great. It had a drum brake in the back -- braking was smooth for emergency stops, but stops were relatively long and the back would lock up.

I had rebuilt the carb and fiddled with the lollipop turn signals, replacing them with some cool aftermarket fogs that served as foglights and turn signals. Very bright. I added a few farkles, but not much. It was such a new bike, I couldn't bring myself to mess with it much. I had the idea of selling in the back of my head from the day I brought it home.

It was pretty, and I have lots of pictures I've taken of it on my rides. A very photogenic bike, but I don't ride motorcycles to impress anyone or to look good. I've never been a chrome guy, and a year of commuting to the beach had the salt air already threatening the steel and chrome of the bike.

Felix was a survivor and deserved to stay pretty and with someone who loves him and wants to keep his chrome shiny. That's not my thing. So while I was glad to have him for a while, I was glad to see him go to a good home.



No comments:

Post a Comment